Thursday, July 8, 2010

set free

Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander,
along with every form of malice.
Ephesians 4:31

Today, i let go of my bitterness. It wasn't a conscious effort. The other night, I prayed that God would take my whole life. That He wouldn't just take the parts i wanted to show, but that He would take it all. He took ahold of the "righteous anger" that i had held on to for so long, that i had argued, defended, and woven into my memories, and completely removed it from me. I normally wouldn't have realized this for a long time, maybe i would have found a way to get that anger back by the time i saw the people it was directed against. But this morning right when i woke up, i got a call from one of those said people. I was braced for a flood of emotions, but all i got was a happiness that the slate was wiped clean. After that a deluge of joy and relief swept through me. It takes so much effort to stay angry and to keep a grudge. I am so quick to forgive everyone around me! People mention it to me all the time, i'm "too easy" on people, i "give out chances like they'll never run out", i "need to be more selective on who i forgive." It's something i do tho, i don't like the feeling of anger. But when it was my own family, i couldn't let go of the bitterness. I held on to it for an inexcusable amount of years. But this morning, i felt freed from it. I thank God for that. He took that weight from me when i cast it on His shoulders. I no longer have to worry about being cold or angry to these people. I can show them the love of my Savior, which i should have been doing for years. So thank you, Lord, for the clean heart. I praise you for this unshackled feeling. The burden is gone, i've been set free, and I'm never looking back.

No comments:

Post a Comment