Tuesday, September 20, 2011

the potential of nothing

Hannah, a name meaning grace. the first girl in Rudder High's C lunch that i sat with. she's the one in the corner, the amazing artist who seems quiet at first but has the best things to say. the one who is so non-judgemental it's insane. she's that girl who most people put into a stereotype that she breaks by being open and sweet. Hannah, the girl brave enough to move from kentucky and start her senior year in a new state, a new school, entirely alone. who people have gravitated to so naturally that after 6 weeks in school she went from lunches by herself to surrounded by twelve other ragtag kids who love her. you know, that one girl who loves deadmou5 and anime and took the time to tell me all about it. that girl.
Hannah, a name meaning favored by God. she's become my friend over the past month. we've bonded over cafeteria food and awkward prying questions, over loved ones in kentucky and wanting a better music scene in town. by God's hand, definitely nothing i did, she looks forward to seeing me at lunches. she came to a dodgeball night for young life because she knew it would make me happy. her heart is so sweet- this girl came to club because she wanted to give me a fighting chance at proving to her that younglife isn't all that bad. within the first five minutes of club her desire to bolt through the door was overwhelming. she found me in the club room and shouted "if i didn't love you i wouldve already left." and there went a punch to my heart. my friend Bex gave an incredible club talk over the prophecies of the Bible coming true. she told the kids how we leaders followed Christ because we believe in Him and His Truth. Hannah, a name meaning grace, muttered "i didn't know this was a religious thing." Bex asked what the Jesus meant to the kids and Hannah, said "nothing."
the Lord of all means Nothing.
the punches kept on coming and my heart broke for my friend.

After club i asked Hannah what she thought. she told me if she could leave before the religious stuff then she would come, but she just felt so rude. even though she was blindsided by a talk of God, she still wanted to make me happy. the lengths she would go to for a friendship is incredibly touching. she continued saying that this whole "religion thing" wasn't for her. i told her no pressure, that religion thing isn't for me either. i drove her home and surprised her by saying "see ya wednesday!"
Hannah, favored by God, does not believe. monday night showed me how nothing i do can change this. my Lord, my Savior, is the only one who can wrap her heart in His hands and say "This is where I belong." all i can give is the love my Christ gave me, unconditional and unwavering. all i can do is try to glorify Him in everything i say and do. i can't be chased away, i can't be talked down. my friend is going to get the most hugs, high fives, smiles, and invitations to hang out that she's ever gotten in her life. my God showed me the potential of that "nothing". from nothing He can create everything. from nothing He can move mountains and perform miracles. from nothing He can grow a glorious faith.
Hannah, it's a name covered in prayer from all over the country. it's a name for those favored by God, covered in grace. it's a friend that's dearly loved and being called by the Savior. it's the name of everything except for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment