Wednesday, August 17, 2011

the wisdom of a convict.

happiness depends on circumstances. joy depends on our Lord.
i once received a letter from a man in jail. im not sure how he knew exactly what i needed to hear, but his writings changed my life. he was under arrest unjustly and indefinitely. he went from being a man of stature to broken physically and persecuted by many. however, this convict bucked the seemingly natural reaction of anger and bitterness along with a spiteful heart and a loss of hope. he took his sentence as a blessing and decided to write through his sad state. he used his chains to help me do away with mine.
he told me to set my heart on things above, to set my mind on things found in heaven, not on this broken earth. my friend wrote that Christ is now my entire life, to eradicate everything extra in my life that weighs me down or distracts me from being intimate with my Lord. his wording reminded me that i am undoubtedly a new creation. i am not what i once was, i am wiped clean and living for something Beautiful. how refreshing. that takes the weight completely off me- i am new. i am redeemed. i just have to follow the lead of my God. what an adventure i get to be a part of! i should be shouting this with joy at the top of my lungs. I AM NEW IN CHRIST. He took this broken sinner and is working daily in me to sanctify me. I AM JUSTIFIED. i no longer have the death sentence i so clearly deserve. this is my reason to sing. this is my river of joy.
this prisoner who had every reason to be shut off from the world urged me to make the best of any opportunity i was given. to do this, he told me to devote myself to prayer. he reminded me of a friend who is always wrestling in prayer for others. what a vivid portrait. how often are my prayers focused on my own trivial problems? i should be on my knees, a warrior in petitions to my King. it shouldnt be just a daily occurrence, but a continuous stream of passionate dialogue on the behalf of others. i should be prayerfully invested in the lives of my dear friends, in acquaintances, and in complete strangers- all for the Kingdom's sake.
what a letter. what beautiful lessons and great reminders. the wisdom of a convict is shaping my life. the writings of a prisoner are bring tears to my eyes. so thank you, my friend. for taking the time to pen your thoughts that would one day change souls and encourage me. oh that i could have the joy of Paul.
want to take a look at the letter? its written to you too- Colossians 3 & 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment